We are an independent mom-run online parenting magazine serving York Region.Please visit our homepage and enjoy all the information there, as well visit our blog, where we post news and information about baby & kids related information affecting new & expectant parents.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Belly Casting Kit from The Better Baby Company

Product Name: Belly Casting Kit from The Better Baby Company
Review:7:49 – Dinner is over and my toddler is with his grandma. I finally have uninterrupted time to start my belly cast.

Following the directions, I set up a chair and drape it with the plastic sheet provided. It’s Sunday
night and the Amazing Race is about to start so I put the chair near the tv. I get my husband to fill up a bowl of water. We cut the plaster strips according to the instruction sheet – the messiest part about the whole process as plaster dust settled over our coffee table – and we lay everything out like we are doing surgery. My husband is skeptical about the cast but gets into it a little more as he realizes its plaster of Paris. It reminds us of our childhoods and we reminisce about art projects gone wrong!

As I read the instructions, I like the individuality of the casting process – you can do whatever you want and decorate it however you want. I decided to only do my belly but according to the box and the website lots of women choose to do their entire torso, breasts included. I sat in the chair with a towel protecting my pajama pants and my husband started to apply the strips of plaster we had cut. I recommend using an old towel as protection for clothing as the strips do drip a little and it made clean up a breeze. He laid the strips across my belly slowly building up the layers. We chatted and laughed (and watched the tv) and genuinely enjoyed ourselves. Generally when our toddler is at Grandma’s we use the time to catch up on other stuff and don’t spend quality time together. I was a little apprehensive to start the cast because I thought it would take a lot of time and require a lot of clean up. It really didn’t. We were done in less than half an hour and the clean up was about 5 minutes – including vacuuming the plaster dust from our coffee table.

8:19 – I sit back to continue watching the Amazing Race and wait for the cast to harden. I am pleased with how easy it was to do. When we are done my husband says that was kind of fun and I agreed. Now I must wait 48 hours to decorate it and I am trying to decide what method I should use. I’m a scrapbooker so the ideas are flowing. I don’t know that I personally will keep this for life but it was really fun and easy and gave my husband and me something to bond over with the baby-to-be.